Introducing the novice code user to navigating the codes will familiarize the user with finding many of the major topics in the various codebooks. It will also assist the new code user in understanding how the codes interact with each other and with jurisdictional bodies and regulations.
This course should be taken prior to any Inspector Certifications and is highly recommended for those with limited ASME Code experience.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is intended for new code users with little or no code experience or knowledge and who have a background in engineering or technology, or who are experienced trades persons. It is also recommended as a foundation for people with limited code experience and knowledge who are considering taking the welding inspector or API inspector programs.
– Pressure Vessels
– Pressure Piping
– Pressure Welding
Structure of ASME B31.1, B31.3, B&PV Sections VIII-1 and IX
– Brief introduction to the layout of codes and how they interact
Comparison of Requirements for ASME Section VIII-1, B31.1, and B31.3
– Joint design (efficiency factors)
– Pressure design equations
– Welding requirements
– Preheating and post-weld heat treatment (PWHT)
– Non-destructive examination (NDE) acceptance criteria
– Hydrostatic and pneumatic testing
Introduction to ASME Section IX Welding Procedure Specifications
– Define welding procedure specification (WPS), procedure qualification record (PQR), and welding procedure qualification record (WPQR)
– Define essential, nonessential, and supplementary essential variables
– Introduce welding positions and mechanical testing (e.g., tensile, impact, bend, etc.)
– Examples of SMAW variables for WPS and welder qualifications QW-253 and QW-353
– WPS qualification for thickness limits and testing requirements QW-451.1
– Welder qualification of welder positions and diameters QW-452, QW-461
– Example of shielded metal arc welding (SMAW) WPS/PQR (QW-482 and 483) and WPQR
– Navigation and information acquisition throughout the day covering the above topics
– Practice reviewing material test reports
– Practicing code navigation and information acquisition
REQUIRED CODE DOCUMENTS
All participants must bring the ASME B31.1, B31.3, and Section VIII-1 Codes to this class.